Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Entry 3, Pre-Surgery Preparation

I left the assessment centre with an information package and instructions to attend a Pre-Operative Education Program. On June 18, 2009 I attended a three hour class for knee replacement at a local home health care centre. The class was held by a physiotherapist and nurse practitioner from the Holland centre so they were familiar with all of the facilities and staff. They covered topics like:

- improving strength and fitness before surgery

- what to expect prior to going into and after the operation

- exercises and activities for immediately after surgery

- planning for discharge

- preparation of your home

- equipment requirements

Of all the attendees, I was the only one having both knees done at the same time so my post-surgery would be quite different. People with single knee replacement are up that day, and stay in the hospital for 3 days or until they can climb 3 stairs. I won't be out of the bed until the following day, and my catheter and pain drip will remain in for 3 -4 days. I'll stay in the hospital for 5-6 days and then be transferred to the rehab section of the hospital for the next 7 days.


Or at least that's how they expect things to go. Everyone is different and I guess I think I'll be the exception and be up and about in no time! That's my plan, anyway.

I still have a lot to do including getting a total blood workup, EEG, dental checkup, and a 5 hour patient orientation program approximately 2 weeks prior to the surgery. So until then I am trying to enjoy our summer and check out lots of internet information on my new knees.

No comments:

Post a Comment