Friday, August 21, 2009

Entry 2, Assessment and Referral

These are the original xrays taken by my G.P. You can see they are quite knock-kneed. I don't have the ones that Dr. Cameron viewed.

Finally, I couldn't take it any longer, I knew my knees where done, but I was sure I'd have to fight to get something done to at least one of them. On April 30, 2009 my G.P. referred me to Dr. Hugh Cameron at the Holland OrthopaedicArthritic Centre located on Wellesley Street in Toronto. It's part of the Sunnybrooke Hospital. I didn't have to wait long for an appointment, my first visit was to the assessment center on May 5, 2009. The assessment team took about 3 hours to put me through the paces. A physiotherapist checked my function and I had to perform several walking tests. New xrays were taken and they recommended that I see Dr. Cameron, which was set for May 13, 2o09. During that visit, I waited in the room with several other people to see this little Scotsman. I was strategizing on how I could convince him to do something with at least one of my knees. When he opened my file on the computer he called me over to the screen. All he said was "do you see that -- your knees are done; you'll have to have bilateral total knee replacement" I'm sure I looked shocked - and all I could summon up to say was - "why and what does that mean?" He replied that I 'didn't have a good knee to stand on and I'm fit enought to have them done at the same time, one surgery.' That's it, that's all, he was done with me and off to the next - just go to his office and make a date with his secretary for the surgery. In his office the date suggested was July 23, 2009, a little too soon for my liking, I didn't want to be laid up for the summer so I chose October 13, 2009. Now all I have to do is get ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment